“Not under the law” refers to the ORIGINAL, WHOLE law (Galatians 5:3, James 2:10) codified by Moses that Christians are no longer under, which PREVIOUSLY REQUIRED OBEYING
1) the now abolished SACRIFICE laws (Hebrews 7:27,9:9-13, 10:10: “Unlike those other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices every day. They did this for their own sins first and then for the sins of the people. But Jesus did this once for all when he offered himself as the sacrifice for the people’s sins.” (New Living Translation) 9:9 “…… the present time in which …… sacrifices are offered …… 10 until the time of reformation.” 10:10: ” …… we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.”), specifically discussed and identified by name,
2) the now abolished CIRCUMCISION law (Acts 15:24: “…… some who went out from us …… saying ‘You must be circumcised ……’ to whom we gave no such commandment ……” 1 Corinthians 7:19: “Circumcision is nothing …… but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.”), specifically discussed and identified by name,
3) the now abolished LEVITICAL PRIESTHOOD (Hebrews 7:11-16,18,23,24,27,28: “…… the priesthood of Levi …… why did God need to establish a different priesthood, with a priest in the order of Melchizedek instead of the order of Levi and Aaron? 12 …… the priesthood is changed ……. 13 For the priest we are talking about belongs to a different tribe ……. 14 …… our Lord came from the tribe of Judah, and Moses never mentioned priests coming from that tribe. 15 This change has been made very clear since a different priest, who is like Melchizedek, has appeared. 16 Jesus became a priest, not by meeting the physical requirement of belonging to the tribe of Levi, but by the power of a life that cannot be destroyed. 18 Yes, the old requirement about the priesthood was set aside …… 23 There were many priests under the old system, for death prevented them from remaining in office. 24 But because Jesus lives forever, his priesthood lasts forever. 27 Unlike those other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices every day. They did this for their own sins first and then for the sins of the people. But Jesus did this once for all when he offered himself as the sacrifice for the people’s sins. 28 …… God appointed his Son with an oath, and his Son has been made the perfect High Priest forever.” New Living Translation), specifically discussed and identified by name, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY BY FAR,
4) the now abolished AUTOMATIC DEATH PENALTY FOR SIN (Romans 8:2: “…… Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.”), also specifically discussed and identified by name, thanks to the sacrificial death of our Savior, Jesus Christ. And that’s it, period, end of discussion, case closed, because the NT DOES NOT single out as abolished any more OT laws. Previously, you should have been ALREADY EXECUTED AND QUICKLY BURIED MANY TIMES for repeatedly working on Saturdays (Numbers 15:35) or for cursing your parents when you were younger (Mark 7:10), if you did that, REGARDLESS of whether or not you had later repented of those sins, for some examples. Due to the severity of this monumental law of sin and death we all must still experience a physical death unless Jesus Christ returns before we die. This law of sin and automatic death, though, has been annulled ONLY for REPENTANT, baptized, Holy Spirit led Christians (Galatians 5:18) continuing to obey the remaining OT laws that were never abolished plus NT modified OT law who also continue to repent whenever they “stumble” and sin (1 John 2:1, Romans 8:2, 1 Corinthians 9:27). Romans 8:2 was a MAJOR change in the ORIGINAL OT. The Old Covenant, though not literally a part of the original law itself, has been changed and improved greatly (2 Corinthians 3:11). The Biblical use of the word “covenant” generally simply refers to an agreement or promise, not to something that contains a set of laws, as demonstrated in Genesis 9:12-17 where the covenant was between God and man, including animals. Since animals cannot understand laws, that covenant logically did not involve laws to be obeyed. Yes, the OT Old Covenant was abolished, but OT laws were separate from the Old Covenant, so that does not mean that all the OT laws were abrogated. The New Covenant now promises 1) complete forgiveness of sin that has been repented of, 2) the Holy Spirit, and 3) immortality which were not available in the physical blessings and protection for obedience based Old Covenant.
So you can see how the Bible CLEARLY, UNAMBIGUOUSLY, and WELL BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT explains the abolishment of the 4 laws above. No such clear and unambiguous verses are found in the Bible, however, about the annulment of the food, festival, tithing, and Saturday rest laws. You can read the New Testament forwards and backwards many dozens of times, and you will NEVER find the dietary, festival, Saturday Sabbath, and tithing laws specifically identified by name in a discussion that even implies that those laws were abolished.
A very awkward, highly embarrassing consequence of mainstreamers’ incorrect belief that the other Old Testament laws have been abolished is that if those laws have been abolished, then bestiality, vandalizing mob membership, property landmark removal, and placing stumbling blocks in front of blind people are all now “Biblically” legal, which of course is intensely ridiculous. None of those crimes prohibited by common sense OT laws are mentioned in the New Testament.
Remember that you can confidently assume that God is not deliberately lying to you in any verse because He told us that He does not lie. Hebrews 6:18: “……it is impossible for God to lie ……” Reasoning logically, God has also indicated that, in this pre-Millennial age when the first resurrection’s “first fruits” are being chosen and trained to rule and teach, He is not trying to use the Bible to deliberately confuse the extremely blessed and the extremely lucky who have been personally selected from a very large number of “wannabe” Christians, and truly “called” by God the Father. John 6:65,66,67,68: “…… NO ONE can come to Me unless it has been GRANTED to him by My Father.’ 66 From that time MANY of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. 67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, ‘Do you also want to go away?’ 68 But Simon Peter answered Him, ‘Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.” 1 Corinthians 14:33: “For God is not the author of confusion.” Therefore we can confidently assume that the original Greek in the New Testament is not really self contradictory concerning law keeping. Since God will not lie or try to confuse us then we need to really believe LITERALLY the following 13 verses that plainly tell us that Christians still need to obey the law.
1) 1 John 3:4: “…… SIN IS THE VIOLATION OF THE LAW”
2) Romans 2:13: “For not the hearers of the LAW are just in the sight of God, but the DOERS of the LAW will be justified.”
3) Romans 6:1,2: “…… Shall we continue in SIN that grace may abound? 2 CERTAINLY NOT! How shall we …… live any longer in it?”
Romans 6:1,2: “What shall we say then? Shall we keep on doing WRONG THINGS so that God will be more kind to us? 2 NO, SURELY NOT! We died to our WRONG WAYS and no longer live in them.” (Worldwide English [New Testament])
Romans 6:1,2: “So what do we do? Keep on SINNING so God can keep on forgiving? I SHOULD HOPE NOT! 2 If we’ve left the country where SIN is sovereign, how can we still live in our old house there? Or didn’t you realize we packed up and left there for good? (The Message) The word “SIN” appears in this and other verses, so remember, according to 1 John 3:4 above, it means ONLY one thing, BREAKING either the food, festival, tithing, Saturday rest, or some other OT or NT law or a combination of those laws.
4) Romans 6:15: “…… Shall we SIN because we are not under LAW but under grace? CERTAINLY NOT!”
5) Romans 3:31: “Well then, if we are saved by faith, does this mean that we no longer need to OBEY God’s LAW? JUST THE OPPOSITE! In fact, only when we trust Jesus can we truly OBEY Him.” (The Living Bible)
6) Romans 6:16: “Do you not know that …… you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of SIN leading to death, or of OBEDIENCE leading to RIGHTEOUSNESS?” 7) Romans 6:18: “And having been set free from SIN, YOU BECAME SLAVES OF RIGHTEOUSNESS.” 8) Romans 6:19: “…… For just as you presented your members as slaves of UNCLEANNESS, and of LAWLESSNESS leading to more lawlessness, SO NOW PRESENT YOUR MEMBERS AS SLAVES OF RIGHTEOUSNESS FOR HOLINESS.” The Greek definition of UNCLEANNESS includes the Levitically “unclean” or forbidden foods. The Greek definition of LAWLESSNESS refers primarily to breaking the Old Testament, Mosaic LAWS. The word “righteousness” in these Roman verses usually refers to the Jewish LAW keeping type of righteousness. So according to the green, capitalized phrase above, Paul clearly commands us to start or to continue obeying the LAW.
9) Matthew 19:17: “….. BUT IF you want to enter into life, KEEP the commandments.” 10) Revelation 22:14: “Blessed are those who DO His commandments, that they may HAVE THE RIGHT to the tree of life ……”
11) JUDE 1:4: “…… (impious, PROFANE) persons …… PERVERT THE GRACE …… of our God into LAWLESSNESS ……” (The Amplified Bible)
12) Matthew 7:23: “And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART from Me, you who practice LAWLESSNESS.” 13) Matthew 13:41,42: “…… His angels …… will gather …… those who practice LAWLESSNESS 42 and will cast them into the FURNACE OF FIRE ……”
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Unless indicated otherwise, all Biblical quotations are from the New King James Version.
Scripture quotations taken from the Amplified® Bible,
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission. (www.Lockman.org)
Scripture quotations marked (TLB) are taken from The Living Bible copyright ©1971, used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.